Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Disciplined 2010

I really hate to make resolutions. Most of the time they don't stick. So in what may appear to be an issue of semantics, I have decided that this year I focus on the disciplined life.  The idea was originally inspired by Mark Batterson's latest book, Primal.  In the book he talks about the 4 ways we love God: through heart, mind, soul and strength.  So my goal for this year is to  take these different aspects of love, meddle them with the classic disciplines and coming up with something that will help me regain some focus over the cross of the new year.
One specific issue that Mark brought up in the book was reading through the Bible in a year.  In my last post I mentioned my struggle with this and what my plans are to correct the situation in the coming year.  But the idea of reading through the Bible in 40 days has also given me an idea for the rest of year.  What if I broke the year down into 9 40 day segments and focus on a different discipline during each of the 40 days?
Since it is New Years Eve this plan should be a little more formulated than it is right now, which is why I  asking for your help.  Right now here are a few of the ideas that I have for my 40 days:
  1. reading the Bible
  2. Fasting
  3. Prayer
  4. Working out
  5. Read the Purpose Driven Life
  6. Read Mere Christianity
  7. Focus on one Old Testament book, learning as much about it as possible
  8. Do the same for a New Testament
  9. Some type of service, not sure what yet (I would really love to hear your ideas here!)
Any help? I would really love to get some feedback on this one.  Thanks! I hope everyone has a wonderful 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails