Thursday, August 12, 2010

Plan B Review

It feels like I may be on Plan M. This review was suppose to be done months ago, when Plan B by Pete Wilson was released.  But life gets in the way.  I think the subtitle to the book, "What do you do when God doesn't show up the way you thought he would?" is a great summary to the book.
Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?
Like many of us, I live Plan B.  After graduating with my graduate degree in Marriage and Family Therapy I took a job as a therapist.  First I worked at a psych hospital and then at an outpatient clinic.  Then I left it.  I took a job as a youth minister, thinking I found what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I had always wanted to be a minister. My first month as a minister in Baton Rouge, LA and Hurricane Katrina hits.  Just take the youth calendar and throw it out, because we now have 160 people staying at our building, occupying the space used by the youth group for events and even Bible class. A couple more hurricanes, missed dreams, amazing experiences and then it ends.
Then, at the beginning of 2009, I began a new career.  Life had not gone according to plan.
I work at Plan B for many families. Actually I work at the place where no family plans to be: a drug treatment center for young men 14-24.
I've been at Plan B. Chances are you have too.
Pete Wilson tackles this topic straight on.  He includes a great mix of personal anecdotes, scripture and wise teaching.  Chapter 12 "Waiting on God" is worth the price of the book alone.
I highly recommend this book, because at one point or another, we may all find ourselves at "Plan B."

Disclosure: A copy of the book was provide for review by Thomas Nelson Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails